Supercharged Vr, Oil & Its holding back, help please

hi there guys, i have a vr6 highline, with 105k fitted with a Vortech v9 supercharger fitted at stealth racing. its stage 1.

1) What is the best oil to use with a supercharger?

2) How often do you need to replace the oil ? (As i suspect its using to much or leaking oil but see no leak, as the previous owner said he topped her up every 2 months)

3) When driving the car, it feels as it is holding back sometimes and sometimes it feels fine. I suspect a coilpack, leads, MAF... it also cuts out when coming to a halt somtimes. when driving on the motorway, say around 80mph and i put my foot down, it doesn't go no where, :(

4) What are the best spark plugs to use for this type of setup? (if you know could you please tell me the part number)

So guys if you could help, that would be great, so then i can get my car running to its full potential.

Many thanks, much appreciated.

i was thinking of going down to stealth, but thought i would have a butchers myself first and then go for the fine ecu tunning and even take it up to a stage 2. (but don't know how much the stage 2 upgrade costs :S)

But if anyone knows the best oil/grade to use with a supercharger setup and the best spark plugs etc....

many thanks in advance

Ok so here we go...

1. Usual quality grades of oil work fine. Im using magnatec. The charger spec doesn't have need of any specific oil and is ok on "Normal VR6 oil"

2. Use the dipstick as a guide - If you are using it full on all the time then more frequently. the specs suggest every 5k, but you will be ok going as low as every3k. The oil on the dipstick will keep you infomred. Nice and clean looking......

3. Holding back could be loads of things. If you've had it fitted for a while have you checked the MAF is clean??? Are you running with a MAF???

4. Haven't got the part number handy but they are the cool plugs of a mk2 valver....

Hope that helps

Im going to be changing the oil (vw synta silver)every 3000 miles and at the same time you have to check the oil feed line is clear and clean. What cooling do you have? If you havnt got it get a low temp stat and an oil cooler. Fresh oil will also make a big difference, mine was instantly noticable and cooler with fresh lube in it

hi there guys, thanks for the responce, i have changed the oil + oil filter. Its taken 5 litres and i still need to buy some more and top it up, i thought 5L would be enough :S...

I've change the coil pack, the plugs shall be put in tomorrow.. The leads i shall change last, if needed.

Where is the oil line feed situated?

How do i check if its clear and clean?

(sorry don't know to much about the Vortech supercharger, as i had a Z-engineering supercharger before)

It does use a MAF, its in a fiddly tricky place lol, right behind the indicator light i think. But i am able to get to it and take it off, i shall have a look at it, i have a brand new MAF as well, so i will put that on as well.

If after all that, all i can think of is either oxegen sensor(lamba sensor or what ever it is called), belt slipage, or the ecu or something...

But i shall get a diagnostics done. :)

oil feed line is the one ontop of the charger, disconnect it and just quickly get someone to start the engine, only for a second, just to check that hose squirts oil (into a rag or something)

for your MAF its easier just to take off your front bumper to get a decent look, when the charger was fitted the MAF cable extension was fitted, just check they are still joined and solder the connections if they arent already, but as it was fitted by stealth they probably will be.

You might aswel get it on VAGCOM first as that point you in the right direction

PS stage 2 is reasonably cheap, bosch red top injectors from sprayit racing on ebay are about £150 by the time they reach your door and the pulley is around £50ish, then just a remap £420

the book says 5.7 litres of oil...... Pain I know....

Yup best/ easy-ist way to play with the MAF is bumper off. You should get practiced at it anyway as now you have a charger - its' bumper off if you want to fill up with petrol LOL!!!

You do need a working lambda for the remap to work correctly. Woth putting on the VAGCOM just to check and clear down any faults etc so you are sure you have covered the basics.

REGAL Motorsport and NS Racing are a couple of the official importers of kits and the upgrtade on new parts isn't bad as stong £ to $ rates. Remap should only be £350 at stealth. The car will run with the upgraded injectors in but will be overfueling so best ask Stealth to pop 'em in when you get there.

i think i will get a VAGCOM done first before i take off the bumper to get to the MAF, just incase its fine and its something else.

I am suspecting a blocked Cat :S...As i can smell it at times, even when the car hasn't really even been pushed hard...also my fuel consumption is high, its drinking fuel like its a ferrari..

When changing my plugs, i noticed oil, and have been told its a Rocker Cover which needs to be replaced.

1) Will the VAGCOM tell me if my cat is blocked and needs changing?

2) Whats the way forward of like getting around the CAT? how much does it cost etc?

thank you guys. :)

http://www.sportcats.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=2_104_106_109&products_id=628&osCsid=42bff3a70ebe12e72f0fd7b1b9929785

sports cat £230...bargain!

True what RCF said, You'll get used to taking the front bumper off with a charger, its worse aswel if you lower the car, I take mine off to get decent access to change the oil filter! Little bit annoying but it give you a chance to nose around the engine bay and spot probs early

Just though, if your cat is smelling it may be over fuelling like mine is at the moment as my timing is out until I get it mapped next week at Stealth

cat bypass/ decat is just replacing the cat with a piece if pipe, you can pass MOT without a cat, BUT only if your car passes emmissions without it. I didnt know powerflow did cats? worth a look

I was toying with the idea of getting a cat made with a true bypass pipe with a butterfly valve on it, so it would be cat-less until MOT time when Id turn a nut and divert the flow thru the CAT

ok thanks for that web site, cleared it up quite well...

I'm just thinking if i find out my cat is blocked via the VAGCOM, i will go down to top gear or someone who can cut the cat off and put a pipe there, basically the lambda sensor has to be lodged into that pipe to get a readying ?? or can you do without the lambda sensor?

well chargers will kill the cat so you can always get a sports cat made for chargers. (the extra heat) I got one ! cause I couldn't get under my car to change it for an MOT :) Too muh hassle man ;)

Also the Lambda information is needed as a part of the charger MAP. Not 300% sure exactly why mind.

I dont know if they are any good but the old BA has 'em regular like! (de pipes)

:)

taking what xyber said i will go and check with my MOT centre if a CAT is required or is it ok without a cat as long as it passes the emissions test... if thats the case i'm going decat pipe :D

i am starting to think more and more that my cat is not working, and stopping the fumes to get out, so my performance is very back and there is hardly no responce.