ENGINE REBUILD NEED ADVICE PLEASE HELP!

Hi i have just blown my engine last weekend at santa pod so have decided to rebuild it so can anybody give me any advice on the best set up to use(im considering going for the 3.0 overbore is this any good?) and who the best suppliers will be to get all the parts needed any advice will be a great help. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

If I was you , definately go for original parts to replace internal.

I did a rebuild a while back on my VR6 and if you dont get original parts you will end up spending more time on trying to source them after they dont fit. I tried non orignial parts but regretted it after the first couple of days so stuck to them from then on.

3.0 is considered a little too much as it's rather close to the water jackets. Saying that US Turbo'd VR's seem to have little issues running 600hp with a 3.0 bore. Mind you, how often do they pop?!!

I've 2.9 bored mine with forged pistons, no issues at all. If you want to go bigger I'd suggest a 2.9 bore with a stroker crank, get your checkbook out though ;)

Yes i have read elsewhere that the 3.0 is a bit too much so i think i will go for the 2.9 and ive seen some pistons by eip tuning so ill probally get them and put a set of cams in and get the head ported, is there any other internal mods that will need to be done?

Your engine blew?? Pretty rare mate for that to happen. Sorry to hear it. What caused it? Was it modded in any way or chipped?

As to internal engine mods stock parts are extremely strong. Really depends if you want to go forced induction or not. If you do then the only real upgrade is to fitter a thicker metal head gasket and stronger head bolts to lower the compression.

well the engine didnt actually blow but the piston rings went and when i done a compression test no 5 was down by about 20% so i then done a wet test and the compression came strate up again and it was also misfirin badly and blue smoke was coming out the exhaust so it was pretty bad, when i stripped my engine down i noticed that half of the fins on the water pump had snapped aswell so that didnt help much. ive got a few grand to spend on parts so any suggestions on the best mods to buy will be good, ill probally end up putting a supercharger on it soon but for now ive gotta get the engine rebuilt first.