Hi

Ive had a search through the forums but cant seem to find anything that 100% matches the problem im having so.....

Upon trying to start my 1995 golf vr6 this morning, ignition lights up, no error codes (apart from the service one!), but the engine does not turn over or start.

It makes a kind of clicking noise instead of turning over- opening the bonnet and listening to it - sounds like, well, a mechanical machine gun is the only way I can describe it. It actually sounds like its coming from the engine block itself, but that could just be me being stupid. Having tried it a few times, sometimes when I hold the key in the start position it only clikcs once, and doesnt "machine-gun".

The alarm (clifford concept 100) still works, so im assuming the battery isnt dead. I can hear the fuel pump priming (i think) when the ignition is switched on. I've read something about starter motor grounding cables, but I'm not really sure where the starter motor actually is to check this..(!)

Any suggestions on things I can check myself would be fantastic - but I am a mechanical retard so please be really descriptive if possible!

many many thanks in advance as I really some help!!

Adam

If its a clicking when you turn ignition then it sounds like a nearly dead battery. The alarm will be fine as it has battery backup. The starter motor is at the front of the engine down the bottom so that would tie up with you thinking its coming from the block. Try charging the battery over night then try again

thanks for the advice.

charged the battery overnight, and hurrah! it started first time. Didn't drive it that day,went back to it this morning to give it a good run on the motorway, and its dead again - absolutely nothing now, not even the clicking from before.

So, I assume that means that the battery is dead? Which is obviously better than a dead alternator....!

The date on the battey said 2001, is that about right? or should I be looking for something else too?

cheers

Sound more like a dead battery, mine went abit hit and miss after I think my massive amp kicked its arse, so I went and got a dry cell one with the biggest cranking power I could get and still fit into the little battery bag/insulator