Hi

Just had my ignition switch replaced and while my car was in the garage they rang me to say they saw the air bag warning light up on the test drive. I told them I had not seen this light before so can only assume something has been dislodged while they replaced the ignition switch. The garage is very honest and the guy doing the work is a family friend and charges very low cost. He said he will look into it tomorrow to find out the cause - but said he may have to speak to VW and VW are expensive but said he'll look into it. Has anyone else had the air bag warning light come on - what was the cause - was it expensive how long did it take to fix etc?

Thanks for any help or info.

More then likely the airbag wiring was disconnected while the battery was still connected, causing a fault code to be raised on the airbag ECU. I expect if you just clear the faults using VAG-COM then the light will go away.

When I bought my diesel Mk 3 it only came with one key - when I went to VW to get a pukka spare with built in immobiliser they managed to do a similar thing, i.e. when I got the car back there was a warning light on (my first reaction to your post was that I had the same thing: air-bag warning light, but on reflection it might have been a 'check engine' type light. Either way - it was a warning light that needed immediate attention!). The fix was to get the diagnostics read and an error code reset. VW have the necessary equipment to do this of course, but you might be lucky (like I was) and find a 'back street' mechanic who has the correct equipment to read the codes.

[VW dealer caused the error but were too busy to take my car back to fix their mistake, so I went elsewhere and invoiced them! They paid up and sent a letter of apology].

when i took my car to the phirm i had a new ignition switch fitted and when finished the airbag light stayed on tim just cleared the codes and all was fine its not a problem you just need it on vag com

As I said, its because the airbag connector would have been disturbed.