Just make sure they take the whole gear box out to do the job - if they are not taking the gearbox out then they are not replacing your chains, merely replacing your tensioners which is pointless.

For the time and work involved the price is very good. The main cost is the labour to get the box out. Which garage quoted you that?

hi all' date=' that dreaded time has come.......my timing chains will shortly be in need of replacing.

what sort of price would be a good one?

i got quoted £580........including labour.....any good?

chhers

adam

[/quote']

So like a good price i'm just doing mine and upto now i've spent £180 on parts alone and that's at trade prices.

It might be worth getting a new clutch fitted while they are at it.(unless it's had one recently)

Tensioners can't be changed with gearbox in,0nly the top front chain guide can be changed.

Is that including VAT?

• 3 weeks later...

hi am thinking of vr6 is this timing chain job a regular thing a recomended thing or what i thought chains were generally life of the engine otherwise they may have well fitted a cam belt any advice comments or knowledge recieved gratefully should i reconsider the vr6 cheers

hi all' date=' that dreaded time has come.......my timing chains will shortly be in need of replacing.

what sort of price would be a good one?

i got quoted £580........including labour.....any good?

chhers

adam

[/quote']

Yo matey, im gonna be getting mine's done too. Change of clutch would be good at the time as Gearbox is gonna be out... Parts came to the same price as me, @ trade, all VW original bits under the £200 mark. But im not sure in regards to your labour price matey....

1182845106_4915_FT178192_picture_082_small_wince.jpg