today i bought a VR - today i broke a VR

VR's are seriously complicated.

I picked up my VR6 from milton keynes today. at first it needed a jump start as the battery was flat. then it needed some fuel, as it was struggling to run. putting some fuel in it made it sing, it was obviously running on fumes at first.

so i took it for a spin to the petrol station and put some unleaded in. 95 ron. i blew the tyres up, well 3 of them.

at this point the car has stopped and started 3 times and the battery is well charged.

i set off to voodoo. on the way i gassed the car a few times. i can now tell why people rave about VR's, theyre strong engines. they sound mint too ;)

i pulled up at voodoo and turned it off and thats pretty much the last time it ran ok.

after chatting to the guys for 10 minutes i went to start it so elie could have a listen to it and the car just wouldnt start. it turned over loads but wouldnt fire. it tried a couple of times to kick but nothing.

we pushed it and it bump started fine, kicked and ran and revved up fine. ran it for a while and it was ok. however when we stopped it and tried to start it again there was nothing.

so in summary, we've got a VR with no spark.

we've swapped the coilpack for one from another VR which we think should work but nothing.

we've checked the leads, and checked the plugs, no spark. connected the king lead to a plug and no spark

we've checked the Crank position Sensor. swapped it for another. cleaned the block so it earths really well.

so from searching and knowledge we're really down to the following...

1/ ecu problem. we think the ECU is fine cos the MAF gets voltage at pin 5.

2/ RElays. think the 109 ECU relay is ok because it clicks when you prime the ignition.

3/ ignition switch? read a few things about this, can't see how it could be this. someone explain what to look at to me?

imo its a spark problem, so we need to trace the spark from source (battery) all the way thgorugh its path to the plugs. we're not 100% sure how to prive the coilpack is doing its job without an oscilloscope so if anyone has any suggestions?

Matt

you could take a lead off and putit next to bare metal it would arc i dont know if its wise but it works

its weird that it wont start but itl run fine with a bump

we've done lots of that fella and thats how we know it won't spark.

it bumped fine, but tat was early afternoon and there was an intermittent spark. after i spent 3 hours ripping the various alarms and immobilisors that had been left in it out, but not connected, theres no spark at all.

not sure if it would bump now actually, might be worth a try.

Matt

thanks for the posts...

narrowed it down lots today.

theres no spark. there was also no switched live on the red w/ blue wire that feeds 12v to the ecu. frigged this with a wire from constant live. still no spark.

unplugged the CPS. could hear the injectors pulsing when we waved a spanner in front of the CPS. but no spark. so it appears to us to be the spark control side of the ecu.

however, found a sloppy hall sender connector on the dizzy, so looking for a dizzy too.

in total, I'd like to find the following parts to get this car drivable.

ecu 021 906 258 A

dizzy 021 905 205 af

engine loom

pas pump.

I'd also really appreciate someone telling me how i can work out of this is a 2.9 block in this car, as it is bound to make a difference.

thanks,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

belated update.

picked the car up on sunday, Elie got it running within a few hours of looking at it.

It boiled down to a car that done an ignition switch and a coilpack at the same time i believe.

so major major thanks to Elie at Voodoo Motorsport for being so accomodating and sorting my car out.

http://www.voodoomotorsport.com

Also while I'm on and in no particular order, massive thanks to

dubshack for the ECU.

Allan Fishburn for answering the phone and giving me business time just to dispense advice.

Tim (I think) at the Phirm for again, answering the phone and giving me advice.

Andy Outhwaite for again, constantly answering the phone and dispensing wiring advice to someone who doesnt do wiring very well. (thats me.)

paul horrocks for again, answering the phone and proclaiming 12v suck and putting me onto andy ;)

thanks to everyone who posted suggestions.

Matt