So the AA man was really nice as he unhooked the towbar now i'm left wondering.....

How do I swap my water pump? I've got a 1999 sharan auto. Is there anything I need to look out for or is it as straight forward as it seems?

I used to pull the tops off old leyland B series engines but it's been a while

you have to undo one of the engine mounts on the g box side iirc? so the engine tilts down you can then get enough room to get at the pump, well thats what you do on a car!! it might be just a case of unbolting it on a sharon, nothing really difficult i dont think, just make sure theres no bits of the impeller in the hole

holy moly that's a long way down! a guy could get lost trying to find a water pump in there. reckon i might need my uncles miners hat to get that puppy out! I don't reckon dropping the engine mount is gonna give me the room the engine bay is pretty stuffed full and even once i pull out all the plastic for the lights, airfilter etc... its still right up against the inner wing not even room for a spanner let alone a socket and an arm.

You can do it.

You need to remove/reocate all the crap above and I took off more than one engine mount. Also check your exhaust as you lift so as not to crush and then jack away. Once there get the absailing kit out and good luck.

Traditionally they are an absolute B*****d to dislodge/break the seal. Once done that its a 30 second job and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!

Make sure you put good quality coolant back in. Run it for a while and ensre the heater matrix refils (turn heater on).

Worth keeping some water handy just in case as there are always the odd litlle bit of air that hides unti run about a bit.

Good luck

cheers mate but have an update. AA man threw me curve ball. got the ever so slightly used drive belt off and gave the pulleys a quick spin, all fine and dandy no grateing no crunching but the drive belt tensioner is locked solid! also what looks link a 2 inch diameter black plastic ring tangled up between belt, tensioner and block. so I think i found my culprit. picking the bits up 2morrow AM so i'll let you boyz know how i get on ;)