Rear head rests

Hello all

Unlike my VR, my Mk3 GTi doesn't have rear head rests. I've been given a spare set from a mate - has anyone ever done the 'conversion'?

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the column they slot in to is in present in all Mk3 rear seats - it's just the clip on the top that needs fitting?

Cheers....

yep, done that.

you need the two "H" shaped brackets that bolt to the backrest. the holes are there already to bolt them into. you need the 4 tubes the rests slide into and - obviously - 2 head rests. (they must be rear headrests though as the fronts have different shaped metalwork and do not fit)

the cloth cover can be removed from the rear seat backrests quite easily, it is held in around the edges with plastic "u" shaped runners. then all you need to do is bolt the brackets in place, put the cloth back on, cut the holes for the tubes to go through(!!) slide the tubes into the brackets and put in the head rests..

not too difficult just be careful when cutting the holes for the tubes to go through the cloth obviously.. - the hole only needs to be the diameter of the tubes, the square section on top will cover up the rough edges of the seat cover where it has been cut...

Cheers for that fella - very useful.

Looks like I need a few extra parts. If I can find a 'donor' car at the scrappy, is it difficult to get all the bits off the back seats without breaking anything? I can't quite figure out how the plastic bits with the release mechanism on them detach from the tubes. Or is it easier just to buy everything?! If so, any idea how much I'm looking at for parts?

Thanks again for the tips.......

if you find a car at a scrappy, pull the rests out, take off the seat cover - then you can see the "H" shaped brackets. you can remove these with the plastic tubes still in them, then you can see how the plastic tubes come out !!

putting back together you will then know how to do .