My Rolling Road result...

Ok. I've got a quick question.

I had a look through the dyno graphs and noticed that most other close to standard vr's made their max torque at about 4.5k whereas my max was a 5.5k roughly. Could anybody offer an explanation for this? Would the de-cat cause that much torque loss???!?!

Slightly confuzzled.

Cheers,

Joe

I'd also like to mention that the power at the wheels was about 123bhp, could anyone give me any reson why i would lose so much thorugh the transmission?

Also - Anterra, did you ever find out for sure what the problem was?

Cheers,

Joe

P.S. heres a copy of my RR dyno plot...any more help would be fantastic. Thanks.

http://www.vr6oc.com/events/RR/powerstation/251106/N726TWN.pdf

123hp at the wheels is very low. It should be more like 140-150 at least at the wheels. Best to get it checked out on vag-com, or if this doesn't show up any faults get a rolling road diagnostic to check your ignition timing etc. Stealth are the guys for this if you can get there.

123hp at the wheels is very low. It should be more like 140-150 at least at the wheels. Best to get it checked out on vag-com' date=' or if this doesn't show up any faults get a rolling road diagnostic to check your ignition timing etc. Stealth are the guys for this if you can get there.

[/quote']

I thought this was quite a low amount myself, but I had a quick look at some other graphs and as I remember from the day a lot of the vr6's that were N/A didn't make more than 125hp at the wheels :S

I dunno, I'm just confuzzled.

Joe

123hp at the wheels is very low. It should be more like 140-150 at least at the wheels. Best to get it checked out on vag-com' date=' or if this doesn't show up any faults get a rolling road diagnostic to check your ignition timing etc. Stealth are the guys for this if you can get there.

[/quote']

I thought this was quite a low amount myself, but I had a quick look at some other graphs and as I remember from the day a lot of the vr6's that were N/A didn't make more than 125hp at the wheels :S

Joe

For an OBD2 that is pretty low. Most OBD2's standard make around 185bhp - roughly 140-150hp at the wheels. To have just over 120hp at the wheels is very low. Does sound like your timing (as Antera says) is out slightly - causing your power loss. You can lose 30bhp easily if your timing is out - believe me I've had this problem before.

[/quote']

Joe

For an OBD2 that is pretty low. Most OBD2's standard make around 185bhp - roughly 140-150hp at the wheels. To have just over 120hp at the wheels is very low. Does sound like your timing (as Antera says) is out slightly - causing your power loss. You can lose 30bhp easily if your timing is out - believe me I've had this problem before.

But the power loss is through the transmission, the engine is still making 193bhp.

But the power loss is through the transmission' date=' the engine is still making 193bhp....it could be worn wishbone bushes ,mine had low reading and was a down to wishbone bush(or just tracking is out)

[/quote']

Thanks for the advice, the tracking was recently done about 2 months ago after I fitted a set of coilovers.

What did you pay for the bushes and where did you get them from? Did this definately solve the problem?

Regarding the torque...it almost makes maximum at 4.5k and climbs very very slowly to the highest point at 5.5k. I'm still in the dark with this so any more help would be a great help.

Regards,

Joe

Mine makes approximately 155-160hp at the wheels and has between 190-200bhp at the fly. Strange that your rolling road garage would calculate bhp at the fly as being 193bhp when your whp is 123! Wheel horsepower is the only accurate indication of power (unless the engine on its own was dynoed) - the bhp (at the fly) which is what most people quote when comparing power figures is calculated by the rolling road garage using their own formula, so will vary from garage to garage, and is not truely accurate like the wheel hp figure. If I was you I'd put it on the rolling road at Stealth (£50 a session) and when they do it they always check the ignition timing is correct etc and everything else. They are better than other rolling roads purely because they know exactly what the transmission losses should be and all the timing settings. They will be able to tell you straight away if your car is running normally Joe.

Good luck mate.