Where's the ECU?

So, I've got this MK3 VR6 which came with the unexpected bonus of a VSR intake manifold. What should I look for to tell if it has all the associated bits that go with the manifold itself?

And where's the ECU so I can have a look and see what chip is in it?

that certainly is an unexpected bonus!!!!

the ecu is under the black plastic trim at the bottom of the screen (under the wipers)

you should have a vacuum tank , some hoses , and the appropriate chip in the ecu ..

does your car have a dizzy or a coil pack ???

yep green plastic ball is the vacuum tank ....

so it has a coil on the bulkhead with a single lead coming out of the middle doing to the middle of the distributor cap...????

that is a result for you as your VSR should be controlled from the ecu with its own special chip......

Whip off the DOHC-VR6 engine cover and you should be able to see the vacuum solenoid, its actuating rod and the lever for the manifold flap in between the two inlet runners that go to the throttle body.

This shows the underside of a VSR manifold, just so you know what I'm talking about!:

new_flap8.jpg

Get someone to step on the throttle and raise the revs gradually. As soon as the engine hits 4000RPM, you should see the lever move. Let the revs drop back below 4000RPM, and it should move back to its rest position again.

If it does this, your manifold is working and no further diagnosis is necessary.

Although having said that, next time you have the opportunity to take the manifold off the car, take the flap mechanism out of the manifold and inspect the condition of the flap - there should be no cracks, and it should be securely attached to the spindle. If there are any problems, get them sorted - you don't want bits of flap breaking off and entering your engine!! Most Schrick manifolds are too new to have this sort of problem, but the VW VSRs are getting quite old now. Better to be safe than sorry!