Recommended items to overhaul?

Hi folks,

Just wanted your collective wisdom on this:

My '93 VR6 (125k) is in my local independant's workshop just now with suspect blown head gasket. As this is being attended to I've asked him to take the plunge and replace the timing chains etc too.

He is saying that there is very little need to replace the lower chain/tensioner etc and as this involves removing the gearbox to do the job it would add a fair bit to the labour. Is this the case?

Also, if the head gasket has gone is there generally a need for the head to be skimmed?

Thanks in advance as always,

Duncan

I must admit I tend to agree,

The head is a must!!!!

As with all these things, if the cost isn't silly - when are you next gonna have the engine in enough bits to do the work with relative ease. If you have to do the lower bits later it will cost you more for a second visit - if you see what I mean - So do what you can whilst you can ;)

Im my mind; It's a peace of mind thing. They're done and that'll be another 100k of safe motoring. :)

good luck either way

Previous message says it all, it's always nice to know something has been done but pennies will justify what can be done.

Head will need skimming and it may need a bit of welding due to pitting

If you do decide to do the lower chains this could escalate into clutch and crankshaft oil seal

Good luck, hope everything goes well ;-)

Following on from VR6_ABSY's point about what else might be worth doing at this stage; what would you guys recommend is renewed with the engine stripped to this point?

For sure I can see the value in the clutch etc...just wondering if there is anything else major that would be prudent to attend to?

Cheers!

TBH You seem to have the major points covered in this thread. The only other parts to look at are Engine/gearbox mounts especially if you are looking at sports manifold in the future (stops the mani cracking due to engine movement) you'll need performance mounts.

The only other aspect is to clean the engine and bay replace pipes for nice new clean and shiny ones and then love it/him/her hug it/him/her tuck it/him/her in every night & enjoy the new car ;)

Good luck