Megasquirt engine management

Hi,

I am going to strap MS to my engine. Not decided which route to take.

Easy: Use one driver output. Leave everything how it is and use the stabndard distributor and coil pack. Not sure if this will allow enough flexibility for changing the timing if i turbo?

HARDER: Modify MS to utilise 3 driver outputs. Use 3 coilpacks and ditch the distributor. Full flexibility on timing.

What would your do to you OBD 1 VR6?

Cheers,

Ant.

Hi' date='

I am going to strap MS to my engine. Not decided which route to take.

Easy: Use one driver output. Leave everything how it is and use the stabndard distributor and coil pack. Not sure if this will allow enough flexibility for changing the timing if i turbo?

HARDER: Modify MS to utilise 3 driver outputs. Use 3 coilpacks and ditch the distributor. Full flexibility on timing.

What would your do to you OBD 1 VR6?

Cheers,

Ant.

[/quote']

First question is how much power do you plan on running???

If it's under 450hp then the stock ecu is perfectly good enough.

If you want more then go the whole hog, seperate controlling for every cylinder/injector/plug etc, ditch the maf for a map sensor blah blah......

If you want more then go the whole hog' date=' seperate controlling for every cylinder/injector/plug etc, ditch the maf for a map sensor blah blah......

[/quote']

I plan on running about 300 bhp if I turbo, as I don;t want to do any internal upgrades apart from spacer plate to lower compression.

What chip would you recomend for this job for an OBD 1 and where can I get it?

I reason for wanting to go MS is so I can make the most out of the exact setup of my engine. Me and my brother can map fuel / ignition to the optimal performance with the kit we have. Also MS is not much more expensive than a generic chip.

I will take a look the site kevhaywire cheers! :)

If you want more then go the whole hog' date=' seperate controlling for every cylinder/injector/plug etc, ditch the maf for a map sensor blah blah......

[/quote']

I plan on running about 300 bhp if I turbo, as I don;t want to do any internal upgrades apart from spacer plate to lower compression.

What chip would you recomend for this job for an OBD 1 and where can I get it?

I reason for wanting to go MS is so I can make the most out of the exact setup of my engine. Me and my brother can map fuel / ignition to the optimal performance with the kit we have. Also MS is not much more expensive than a generic chip.

I will take a look the site kevhaywire cheers! :)

Contact C2 mate they can provide you with an Eprom to do the job and do it very well, i hear.

Imo, the stock ecu is very good (to a point of course) and vag spent millions to make it what it is, i'd like to keep hold of it until i really need to get rid.

Hmm I have decided to go with the harder but better option (in my opinion!) of modified MS V3 with extra code. Going to run a V6 cossie coilpack and disconnect the distributor, it should be easier than I thought. Should be better in the long run.

The reason I am going this route is so I can run what turbo / injectors / anything I want and customer map it myself. I don't want a chip telling me what injectors etc I need to purchase! Also I can make it very economical at part throttle and cruising because I will map it that way. Plus I like plugging the laptop in an changing the rev limit etc when I so desire. etc.. etc.. :D

I will use the standard management to controll idle, and the dashboard, immobiliser etc. I will then try to get the MS working on the ****ed up VR6 timing pattern, and if successful she will recieve and faraday decomp plate and 12psi of T34 goodness.

MS V3 + extra code is costing £350 with full legnth loom, so thats worth it for the ultimate flexibility.

I personally think it will be disgustingly fast for the price. 1K for the car, less than 1K for a turbo set up. Not sure how much better breaks and (another) suspension upgrade will be.

I know the shell is not the best, but the full VR6 running gear can always find it's way into a MK2 in the distant future.

Anyway i'm getting way ahead of myself here, need to get it running n/a first.