my speedo has a mind of its own, help!

recently my speedo has started going a bit crazy, its shoots up and down all over the place completely randomly, sometimes it just dies altogether. i went to my local vw dealer and they said it could just be a speed sensor which would be 20 quid (or they could do a diagnostic for 60 quid an hour labour!) so i bought the sensor and when i fitted it the problem didnt go away. i then tried to see if there was a loose connection somewhere on the actual dash unit itself, but still no luck. has anyone got any other ideas cos im all out and i dont want to have to go back to the dreadded dealer!!

• 1 year later...

Hey mate! Looks like I have the same problem.. My speedo goes a bit crazy usually when engine is warm, the speedo clocks 170mph and cuts out or just flicks back to 10pmh when i slow down and usually is ok then. But sometimes the speedo doesnt work at all and then it would continue as if nothing had happened lol.. Also id like to add my mk3 vr6 is automatic and when this speedo problem begain another fault also accured! I dont seem to have 2 or 3 on the box and will only kick down wiv the throttle!

This car was a project! and after my engine rebuild and all other parts i have replaced this seems to be it for me wiv my vr6.. Its $hit or Bust ive had enough Grrrrrr!

So anyways mate! :) Did you sort your problem out? or could anyone HELP!!???? PLEASE??? :D lol