I haven't been on this site for a while - glad to see the banter flying as usual!

Got the car tested, just needed a new tie rod. They test the cars hard here - they have a suspension rig that shakes them about, a braking rig that compares stopping power from one side to the other, front to rear, etc. Got my new registration, and now preparing for the harsh winter.

Trust me the weather here is *awesome* right now. However, I need a secon set of wheels & studded tyres for the winter.

I don't care if the rolling radius changes / gearing changes, etc. If I know what will fit then I can snap up a bargain if I spot one.

It's a late VR6 with 288mm discs on the front. It's not lowered, so truck tyres would fit!

Would the wheels off a volvo 240 fit, for example? I suppose the radius of the actual wheel needs to be large enough to accomodate the discs. So are we talking 15 inch minimum?

What does offset mean and what range of offsets are suitable for the VR?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

James

Hi James, welcome to Sweden. I'm actually from Australia, have been here two years and will be for 1 more.

Summer is pretty nice but just wait for the winter!

Offset is the distance from the inside edge of the rim/wheel to the face that fits up against the hub/disc. Front wheel drive cars tend to have more offset (sit in further) than rear wheel drive. Fitting wheels with less offset will increase the track but the wheel bearings won't last so long. Going the other way you can run into trouble with clearance of the brakes, hoses and suspension components.

Hope that gives you some idea.

I'm kind of looking forward to winter, but I need to know what shape & size wheels will fit. 15" if possible. I was hoping that some wheels of a common Swedish car (volvo or saab?) woudl fit - then I can hunt some down on eBay or equivalent...