I noticed a really loud rattling from my tappets the other day, about a minute after it had been started from cold. After about another minute it went off. Then when the engine was hot I popped the bonnet for a look and even while idling the tappets were really noisy and noisier when revved. I think the probability of every tappet failing at the same time would be the same as the odds of winning the lottery, so I am thinking maybe the oil pump is shot. I recently had a new head gasket fitted and was running mint when I got it back, but I'm thinking maybe the excessive amount of coolant in my oil has knacked my oil pump. Has anyone had any similar experience? And how big a job is replacing the oil pump? Any thoughts anyone? Ta :(

Its semi-synthetic what the garage that done the head gasket put in. Think its Valvolene. Thought i'd leave it in for a bit to flush the engine a bit then change it. The engine sounded fine at the weekend, then on monday rattling its bollocks off.The last 2 owners had only used fully synthetic oil, so was thinking if changing back to synthetic but don't think it would make any difference, judging by the noise.

Sounds a bit weird to me. It's the thickness (or weight, speaking technically) that matters, not whether it's semi/fully synthetic. If the oil's too light weight (thin) it can make the engine sound tappety.

I think if it was mine I'd try first confirming with the garage exactly what oil you have in there, if it's lighter than 10w40 try changing the oil to standard VW spec Sytha Silver (10w40) and see what happens.

Doesn't sound good :(

Good luck!