Hi all, got a problem with my '92 Vr6 Golf when you start the car the engine revs up to about 2-3k then settles down but is very erratic and little lumpy driving at times almost no power at all it is usually fine when up to speed on motorway just around town it is troublesome!

Any ideas where to look? went to Salisbury VW and they would not touch it as it is modified!!! Bonrath ind kit and powerflow exhaust! Fussy Buggers!! ~:(

if the car is stuttering or hesitating, a faulty maf unplugged will make the car run perfectly normal as there is no defective signal going through when unplugged.

i only say this as this is how i caught my maf to be faulty, i unplugged it and the car was like a rocket when driven, so replaced it.

Well i have found a solution if i block the hose that runs from my ISV to my Bonrath ind kit the idle returns to normal!! so a new ISV is now on the way!! second hand of course! i tried cleaning it to no avail in fact after a night saking in my parts washer it was worse!!!

will update when new ISV turns up and is fitted! Then its off to Storm for a full service and tune up!1

• 2 weeks later...

Well got a second hand ISV in and it has made no difference at all, starts and runs fine for about 2-3 mins then the idle starts rising sharply to about 1500 then back down and all over the place and if driving like this the car really struggles!!! Could it now be the MAF?? car is fine on the motorway and at speed, just a little bit underpowered. any ideas?? x) x)