Fitting a VR6 into a Mk1 Golf

Well I'm back, after 1½ years or so.....

Basically, what happened was, after a lot of research, I really stumbled upon the issue of making the exhaust manifold, and with other wiring issues and my lack of experience, I decided to do a 2.0l 16V conversion on my Mk1 Golf instead. This took quite a long time, partly because I took on a lot of other 'general restoration' work of the front end, partly because it was done outdoors through winter time, and partly because I was a little unlucky with breaking some parts that shouldn't have broken!

Anyway, its done now and I've used the car a little, its really great and I don't want to change around that car too much.

But............I still have "the bug" to do something a little unusual or different, so yesterday, I drove 350 miles or so to collect this:

Dsc03574reduced.jpg

I always wanted a silver one (the other one is black, I always wanted black but silver's my 2nd choice on colour) and I always wanted a VR6! So its going to be converted. Next on the shopping list is a crash damaged or MoT failure VR6 donor car, I figure its better seeking a complete car than constantly buying bits and pieces off eBay, etc.

Mod Edit to Resize Pic.

Moderator edit by: TheGoth

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the project's finally underway, with the new arrival

Dsc03589reducedandcropped.jpg

Awwww cute.

Dsc03653reduced.jpg

The new arrival. Cat C write off.

Dsc03657reduced.jpg

Under the bonnet

Dsc03673reduced.jpg

Here's another pic, showing the main area of damage. The airbox and rad are trashed, but the chassis legs, engine and alternator all made it unscathed. Phew!

Watch this space......

• 1 year later...