Vince? - Schrick 264 Cams - do I have to uprate the valve springs

I have looked at the document mentioned in the Schrick Manifold fitting thread at:

http://www.venommotorsports.com/library/schrickVGI268.asp

This document covers fitting of the cams as well as the manifold.

In the first paragraph it says:

"To do the job correctly, safely and ensure longevity you should seriously consider replacing the stock valve springs with either VW diesel valve springs or Techtonics heavy duty valve springs to avoid spring bind from the new higher lobes of the Schrick 268 cams. "

I'm sure none of us want to compromise the reliability of our engines, so it looks like uprating of the valve springs is a necessity.

Vince may have assumed this and already ordered us cam people a set of Tektonics valve springs each.

Then again, he might not.

Maybe the uprated springs aren't necessary with the 264 cams we're getting, only with the 268s.

If anyone is calling Vince in the next few days, it might be worth asking about this.

Hi Guy's

The Schrick catalogue suggests that uprated springs with the 264 cams are reccomended and essential on the 268's..

However we fitted many VR6's with 268's with the uprated springs and probably just as many with the stock VW springs. We can't tell the difference in performance, never broken a spring and never experienced valve bounce. We have also seen a few VR6's that have had cams fitted at AMD and other tuning shops left with the stock springs, no problems on those either..

Replacing valve springs without removing the head is possible but it needs to be done carefully. I would suggest that if you have the head removed at a later date then this would be the opportune time to replace the springs should you so wish.

Vince