hello all! im a college student at UNOH and i love my 95 passat GLX. however lately it is confusing me to death. i towed it to college because its a 285k mile car and i didnt want to kill it on an 8 hour drive. i went to take it off of the trailer and it would crank all day long but not start. of course the campus is filled with master technicians but not one experienced with VW gas engines. i have been trying to get it running but with classes i dont have much time. so far i have replaced the cam sensor because it read 45 mega ohms. i assumed if it had a higher resistance than the human body that it was no good. however that did not fix my problem. im really hoping you guys can give me a list of parts to check and rule out. ive read that it could be a crank position sensor or relay number 12. im going to test them today. but im not getting a reading on the tach when i try to start the car. and it would not start with starting fluid.

a little bit about the car: its a 5 speed swap with pretty big cams and some headwork. i LOVE the lope and pure sound of it when its running. and it is a complete beast once it revs past 3500rpm. i cant wait to get her running and go pick on all the hondas on campus! :)

Well, if you've got zero rpm whilst cranking over, you've got zero crankshaft sensor. That the only sensor that picks up rpm . Well obd2 anyway!

Do you have access to a diagnostic code reader? If you live scan whilst operating the starter, if there's no rpm value, I'd say 100% change the crank sensor. Also worth a look at the fuel pump relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think if it's a coil pack obd1, it's going to be very similar to obd2 model in that the crank sensor will be reading rpm.

If you could borrow a code reader, or even buy a cheap one, it will make the process of elimination much easier. They're very easy to use too.

i got down to the crank position sensor today and it was filled with corrosion so i didnt check the ohms yet but i did spray about a whole can of contact cleaner onto the corrosion hoping it will be a temporary fix. i will update if it worked tommorow incase anyone else is in my position. i would do it the right way and go ahead and replace it but for financial reasons that not an option for me for another week.

i got down to the crank position sensor today and it was filled with corrosion so i didnt check the ohms yet but i did spray about a whole can of contact cleaner onto the corrosion hoping it will be a temporary fix. i will update if it worked tommorow incase anyone else is in my position. i would do it the right way and go ahead and replace it but for financial reasons that not an option for me for another week.

Great, fingers crossed it does the trick!!!!