tight crank after new rings and shells?

Put my pistons back in the block with new rings and conrod bearings and couldnt crank it over (by hand)

Took them all back out to check the rings and their all fine

Put piston 1 back in (closest to belt) and tightened it up and the crank is locked again, loosened it and it spun freely, tightened back up and locked again?

I could spin it with a longer bar but when ive just a second piston back in its very tight

Any ideas? bearings oiled up, new ones looked identical to old ones etc

Oh and hello :) Leigh

Big end caps on backwards?

Don't the con rod caps have to go on with 3 arrows pointing to the gearbox, and 3 pointing to the aux belt side. When I changed to ARP con rod bolts I found that out. Couldn't turn it by hand and only put 1 on backwards

I did have them on back to front yes.

Made some progress though

Took the pistons out a fortnight ago to do the rings unknowingly I needed a specific ring compressor tool. So tried various methods of getting the pistons back in failing and breaking my rings

So in a rage everything got thrown in my boot unlabelled etc

Now with my second set of rings and a proper vr compressor I've been putting everything in wrong place it seems

Big end caps on backwards?

Don't the con rod caps have to go on with 3 arrows pointing to the gearbox' date=' and 3 pointing to the aux belt side. When I changed to ARP con rod bolts I found that out. Couldn't turn it by hand and only put 1 on backwards

[/quote']

No arrows just '23' stamped on them

Ooh' date=' mine had arrows on as well as a casting number. Odd.

[/quote']

Yea maybe due to engine age?

Do you know what the torque settings are for the caps > conrods & the caps > block are?

Got all pistons in and spinning freely now just need to torque everything up then start putting new everything else back on :)

Thanks, Leigh

When you threw everything in the boot' date=' did you at least mark which cap came from which rod?

[/quote']

Nothing was marked up because everything was organised on the floor in the garage, but after taking everything apart, realising i need a specific vr ring compressor & breaking my new rings i just give up lol... bad move haha

I eventually matched each one up (hopefully).. you could tell which one fitted well and the other 5 had play, something i didnt check 1st time round

But good news, it may have taken all this glorious weekend but it fired up a charm, tappets are quitening down and she drives.

Thanks for all the input guys really appreciate it, Leigh