Engine idles at a very slow speed and cuts out

Hi,

I went to start the car and it took ages to catch and when it did it ran for a few seconds then what I could only describe as a backfire happened.

Since this happened the engine will cut out if you take your foot from the accererator pedal.

It will drive happily down the motorway without a problem but will cut out all the time in traffic when coming to a stop.

Had the RAC out to look at this with no luck.

I need to get this sorted as I work 200 miles away from home and need to get back.

Thanks

Hello and welcome and a shame your first post is not a happy one....

Did the RAC man do any kind of diagnostic sweep of your car and make any recommendations?

Does the car run smooth and pull strong when it is not idling? If it does then the culprit may be the ISCVv (idle speed control valve). If not give us a little more info and we'll try to help....

Hi,

I maybe on the wrong part of the forum as the car in question is a Galaxy AAA engine which i beleive is the VR6.

The car runs fine when on the motorway and will accerate with no problem at all. As soon as you put your foot on the clutch to change down a gear it wil die. I wondered if it may have anything to do with the throttle body but as it runs ok on the motorway I think that it would be ok.

Does the AAA engine have an ISCV and where will it be located on the engine?

The only thing I can think of when I started the car yesterday was it pumped quite a bit of petrol into the engine before it started and like I say backfired but back towards the throttle body so could it have done any damage up there.

Thanks for the quick reply

Phil

Hi' date='

I went to start the car and it took ages to catch and when it did it ran for a few seconds then what I could only describe as a backfire happened.

Since this happened the engine will cut out if you take your foot from the accererator pedal.

It will drive happily down the motorway without a problem but will cut out all the time in traffic when coming to a stop.

Had the RAC out to look at this with no luck.

I need to get this sorted as I work 200 miles away from home and need to get back.

Thanks

[/quote']

Sounds like idle stabilisation valve, try cleaning it out. If this fails it may need replacing but before spending do a diagnostic check.