water leaking from the block!

Need a bit of help guys.

Was checking the oil and water today and spotted what looks like a water leak coming from the left hand side of the engine (Auxilary belt side) at the head gasket! haven't seen or found any other signs of it blowing and the car is running fine, not overheating at all.

Getting worried that its on its way out but I'm not sure. whats everyone elses thoughts on this?

How easy a job is this to do on the VR, done a few in my time but none involving timing chains, will i need any special tools?

Well, I checked it again this morning and its pouring out! Had to top her up with 1.5ltr of coolant.

The final nail in the coffin was a check of the water hoses, hard as bricks and a massive whoosh of pressure when removing the expansion cap.

Think I summed it up this morning in a word...

Bugger!

Ordered a new gasket from VW spares so its time to get grubby. real pain is I have to be in Kendal on Monday so looks like I'll be hiring a car!!

The car was standing over night and cold so surely it shouldn't be holding pressure in the cooling system. Plus when she is running you can't compress the cooling hoses which means the exhaust gases are trapped.

Just typical luck for me... just when I really need my car is decided to get sick!