Golf V5 170bhp.. worthy vr6 replacement!

hi folks,

recenlty sold our candy white 5dr '96 vr6.. she had been using it as her car for 6months and fancied a change.

anyway, i sold it the other night, with the intention of replacing it with either a 4motion or a gttdi.. i hadn't considered a V5..

i stumbled upon a lovely example (2002 5dr silver, immaculate, fsh and 100k).. at the auction, it was cheap.. so i own it..

i have to say im VERY immpresed! this the 170bhp model, performance wise, it almost exactly like a vr6, the engine is very torquey and it has a lovely rasp to the exhaust..

she is delighted, with it.

amazing prices on these V5's.. it seems nobody wants them. they are miles ahead of the 1.8t and 2.0 gti models- and MUCH cheaper too!! bonkers but true..

if your looking to modernise abit from your mk3 vr6, i recommend thisas the next best thing!

cheers

But the majority of people on here like to modify things and the V5 had very few options for doing stuff to it. Everything is geared towards V6 in 12v or 24v forms or the 1.8T.

I nearly bought a V5 Toledo about 5 yrs ago but got a 1.8 20v NA version instead, as the servicing prices put me off it

v5 feels really good.. im very surprised, it goes like a stock vr6- minus that bit of top end surge you get at over 6000 in the vr6.. but if you dont drive on the red line everywhere, performance and feel is almost identical, and abit more responsive (though this could be doen to good servicing). its showing 33mpg just now after a reset... we'll see what is getting in a week or so.. but i suspect it going to be more econ than the vr6 in the long run.

prices are a joke- what alot of car for little money.

i paid 1400 (plus hammer) for mine. a 2002 golf v5 with full history and 100k, immaculate all round..

thats cheap vr6 money! i sold my 1996 5dr vr6 with 132,000 miles for more!!

bonkers.. consider this-

if i had the same car outside with a 150bhp pd tdi engine, it'd be costing around 4000..

..think we'd save the difference in fuel running it for 6months? definatley not..

smart buy..

dont get me wrong- im no v5 fanboy- but my main point here is they represent ASTONISHING good value for money and (the 170bhp model) are very similar to a vr6...

still love my vr's though.. still got my corrado storm!

Have to agree with you there, I just picked up a toledo V5 to replace a very rotten VR. I'm not gonna lie i miss the VR like crazy (drilled airbox and Jetex Catback = HOWLS... But, we needed a more comfy bigger car with two kids and the tolly fit the bill. Loads of toys as standard and the engine pulls reasonably well... mine is the older 150bhp model so not quite as quick but its a lovely car, and only cost me 975!!! bonkers is correct!

• 3 weeks later...