Hello all, recently replaced my radiator and heater matrix and now my water pump has gone. Mr RAC said that the head gasket could be on it's way out forcing pressure to blow the weakest points. I'll put links to pics bellow but another problem is water was spraying out the front from under the manifold. Also when I come to top up my water in the week the header tank cap had to be opened with pliers. It was like it was glued on.

http://i45.tinypic.com/mw63oh.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/10548c0.jpg

Any comments welcome. Thanks.

the water spraying out of the front is probably the water transfer, or crack, pipe. Which, as the name might give away, tend to get brittle and crack.

that corner of the engine does have some of the narrowest walls and it does look like it's leaking water on yours.

it certainly looks like it may have problems. but saying that it doesn't look too clean above the HG line either.

look for further evidence such as creamy oil and combustion gasses in the coolant. halfords do a kit; some crystals you add coolant to and check reaction colour.

I'll have to look into the kit. Sounds like a good idea. The oil was new last week and it doesn't look milky. I also find it odd that with all the water problems it's only ever over heated once and that was last night. I see the needle start to go past 90 and at the same time the heater went cold so I stopped instantly. If it is head gasket I hope the head isn't warped. If it is then I may have to scrap it, getting expensive.

Which water pump should I go for? http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf_2.8_1995/p/Car-Parts/Cooling-and-Heating/Cooling/Water-Pumps-and-Gaskets

Now my Dad has had a look and he's not convinced it's the water pump. Any other opinions welcome.

Now there is water flowing from the pipe at quite a rate and water is running out of the hole in the pictures. There is also a tapping sound.

water from the front could also be a core plug, on mine it was one right behind the oil cooler, tiny little pin prick in it, I actually thought it was the oil cooler at first and bought a new one. If you think it is the water pump then if its leaking badly you would undoubtedly find a puddle of water under that side of the car as soon as you turn the engine off.

Ok thanks, I'll look into it. Also, has anyone who has changed their head gasket used any kind of sealants? I assume so but I don't know which ones to use. I think the head gasket has definitely gone, found a lot of oil in one puddle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's getting worse by the day. Started today by replacing the crack pipe then I filled it up with water to check for leaks. There is another leak from something further under the car right at the front. I don't know what the part is called and the light out there is too poor to take pictures. Anyone got any ideas what it could be?

The small pipe from the side of the crack pipe goes to the oil cooler? I've just been looking under the car and the water is coming from there and it's coming out fast. It leaves just as fast as I fill it up. I've seen pictures of oil coolers before and they only have two pipes and I assumed that was for oil?