Il cut a long story short. Friday of the floods, car broke down. Smell of burning coming from behind dash and smoke. Leapt out of car and disconnected battery. Towed car to my friend’s garage where I discovered that the relay that feeds the ECU was hot. On removing the plug from the back the wire had melted. Followed this up to the ECU, This wire was some what melted but not enough to melt any of the other wires. Replaced the wire, worked out where it had shorted, obtained a new Relay thanks to this web site cleaned the plug where it had got a bit black and sooty. Switched on the ignition, no melting wires etc. So far so good. Car wouldn’t start. Plugged a spare lead and plug onto distributor and cranked the car over, definite spark. Now this is the strange bit. Normally when I switch the ignition on in either this car or my Mk2 Gti the fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds then stops. In fact I checked this in my gti. Im pretty sure it also does it in my VR. Switch the ignition on now and the fuel pump just keeps running and running and if you listen to the fuel rail you can here it being pumped round. Is this meant to happen or is the pump meant to build up enough pressure and switch off whilst engine is not running. Or can anyone in the know tell me of any other tests I can be doing.

If its pumping round fairly easily I would assume that there might not be enough pressure to pump fuel through the injectors. HELP