Hi all,

just become a vr6 golf owner mk3 and already having a major problem, can anyone help please?

The VR6 wont turn over/ start at all.... all the lights come on, all the electrics work fine and the alarm is working also....

It will bump start no issues and after running it for 20mins or so then it will fire up no problem but after left for few mins same problem again....

please please please help as mssing out on valuble VR6 driving time....;(

the car is on a p reg and is the highline model...

Thanks in advance!

hiya,

you'll need to check to see if you are getting 12v to the starter's actuator during the times the it doesn't turn over.

Starter is at the bottom of the engine, passanger side, front. It's got a fat starting current size cable bolted to the end of it and a red & black wire plugged in.

If this wire is suppling voltage then it's the starter if not probably the ignition switch.

wired direct to the battery....

Used a really good quality fitting kit (vibe) for the wiring - didnt think it would make a difference to the starter but thought id ask...

is there any special type of ignition switch i need to get? found 1 on ebay for around a tenner...??!

as the ignition is not even clicking do u think its the switch not the starter motor?

Many thanks again for your help!! :)

When you turn the key does this not send power to a relay that in turn allows power to the starter? If you are not even getting the click, I would start at the starter relay. Check for power to if ignition to starter on. If the relay allows a start signal, then the solenoid on the starter motor and check for a good earth by connecting up a bypass. All of this is from experience on other cars and not mk3 specific so i'm sure someone can jump in if I've got it wrong.

hi,

solved the problem.....

Got the multimeter on the starter and found loose connection on it.....!!!

Made sure it was in nice and tight and all is working now, crisis over!!

Thanks again for all your help with the issue u have all been really useful!

Keep up the good work, im off to go do some serious driving\!! :)