erratic idle, jerky drive, weird smell... hate my vr6!!!

Ok, I am going to the point now where I feel like smashing my car up....every week there is something wrong with it!

Anyway, this week after:

http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?272099.post

and

http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?259484.0#post_262512.

Plus a leaky gasket which caused some engine oik to torch.... Oh the fun....

This has all since been sorted then on sat, we decided to try to sort out my erratic idle problem which has been annoying me for a while, plus try to get to the bottom of a weird noise that has been bugging me.

It turns out that the weird noise, or so we though, was the auxilary water pump which was running almost dry because of an air lock in the collant system. Not good!

We later took the ISV off the car and cleaned it out by spraying carb cleaner into it to drag all the kak off it, we put it back on like new and it seemed to stabilise the idle at first.

Then I took it for a drive.....it started ok, but after a while it began behaving like it had kangeroo juice in it....until I dip the clutch then it was ok again. It is very random and seems to do it most around 2000 revs....it would drive fine then just have a bit of a fit and then drive ok again for a while.

I now am totally baffled as to what this new problem is?

Faulty ISV? or perhaps faulty Air flow meter?

Plese help....I am going to the point where this car is going in the bin if it carries on.

• 2 weeks later...

best thing to do sell it! this is what my old bmw was like every week new problem, i thought sooner or later i would have changed everything and no more problems til the engine seized up! anyway could be a variety of things possibly fautly air flow meter, when was the last time you serviced the car. good luck!

Selling a car without diagnosing a problem is insane. Who would pay full whack for a buggered car?

You could lose 2 grand off the value of it just through not plugin vagcom up to it. You never know, vagcom might come up with an intermittent sensor issue and you find a loose plug on something. Ping! fixed.

VAGCOM should always be your first port of call for odd issues like this. It's actually bloody clever and if it doesn't tell you exactly whats wrong it almost always points you in the right direction.