You want a facelift model 2001 onwards as the early ones had lots of glitches, brakes aren't really beefy enough, they cost alot to mod but they need it as a large chunk of their 260bhp is robbed by the 4wd system.

Downpipes, cats, full milltek dual and a custom remap would see you 350bhp max, cost £3500 for parts and mapping and a hefty labour bill as the engine has to come out to fit the downpipes. If you want more power you need k04s and then you can really fly

Several small jobs on most cars are a nightmare on an S4, like fitting a new water pump as the engine has to be pulled

Basically, great cars if you get a low milage good'un, modding is pricey, service history and hpi vital.

I did loads of research on them before Xmas as I was considering one, but with the age of them, the risk of 2 turbos popping and the cost to sort them, I changed my mind

Things to look out for

Warped brake discs

Split bi-pipe boot

Cracked downpipes

Failed cats - they have 4!!!

Failed recirc valves

Boost leaks

Intercooler problems- one on each side

Smokey turbos? Walk away!

Watch to see if the owner does the proper cool down routine

Oh and get as many toys as possible, RNS-D sat nav look great and without it the dash looks bare and black leather with carbon fibre dash trims seems to be most desirable and looks awsome