high milers, avoid like the plague or all good?

there seem to be a lot of vr6's floating about for sale with 130k plus on the clocks, ive spotted one in particular with 167k, but with full service history... in your eyes, would it be worth a look or steer well clear of the high milers?

as well as that, whats prone to be more likeley to go wrong with the vr6 on high mileage?

as you can see im still pretty fresh on the vr6, so any help or info is most definately appreciated..

cheers guys and girls.

adam

167 is a lot of miles mate, having said that if its had the timing chain & tensioners done recently it may be okay, also you need to check all other stuff that will tend to be worn at that sort of mileage, i.e pads & disks, exhaust, alloys + tyre condition, just that little lot could cost you the same as the car again very quickly, its not so much an expensive car to purchase as it is to run and maintain correctly, best of luck whatever you decide.

pah, im on 175,000 miles.. fsh etc.. as long as you can get the reciepts to prove the fsh, then id say no probs.. but like any high mileage car, there will be consumables ..

oh and btw, i turbocharged mine at 169000 miles... all on the orig engine, as it was in better nick than the unit i had brought to replace it.. just check guides etc..

If the car has been well maintained then it would be ok, most higher miles cars would of had alot done to it mechanically providing the owner was good to it, don't buy without a good service history. However that is aot of miles. In general I avoid cars with too many owners rather than the miles....

thats if they ahvent been done yet.. but if there are no reciepts for the service history then walk away.. you can get stamps made on ebay for less than 10 quid... its to easy to stamp a book up and claim fsh...

i have a a4 leverarch folder or reciepts for mine.. i dont scrimp on it, and luckily for me , neither did the last owners..

id take a car with reipets over a service history any day, as its traceable bills.

spoke to the owner of it again and the timing was done at 69k' date=' arranged to go have a look good look around it tomorrow.

[/quote']

69ks a bit early, might be due again soon. make sure you take a good listen for the tell tale marble in a tin can sound at 1500rpm. Take a very long bladed screwdriver to act as a stethescope.

do you have a mate available who could follow you on the test drive and look for smoke when booting it / on the over run?

High mileage isn't a problem as long as its been maintained and looked after, yet it doesn't seem to matter as I cant shift mine (for the past year) which is on 176k, had the engine work done (water pumps, chains, tensioners, clutch, thermostat housing, etc), recent respray. Just needs a bit of tidying up to make perfect.

If mine doesn't sell in the next month its getting broken!!!

I am sure all will agree what has been said.

They are only just warming up at 150k :D

Same as with all higher milage cars, service service service!

Usual things to check on any high miler are the bits more challenging to get to. I would suggest chains are a must as you dont want a £700 bill for that and the clutch. Otherwise brake pipes, all rubbers underneath and in the engine. Do all electrics work. Has it been spanked.

Otherwise they are pretty solid all in, they were built with the distance Euro/autobhan and american markets in mind i suppose

Spend your time and you could get a belter ;)

i bought mine with about 140k miles on the clock and its now just passed 160k - it was a heap when i got it and since then its been an absolute money pit! no service history and it had been abused with nothing spent on it for quite a while, i should have listened to my mechanic when he said scrap it at the end of last year.. but they do sound nice, they make respectable power and have nice useable torque - an entertaining drive all in all. schrick cams and manifold along with a full stainless decat exhaust and some budget suspension parts also help.