hi i have vagcom my car and had the following fault, coolant temp sensor intermitant. does anyone know where it is located on the engine and how much to replace it. many thanks sorry its for a OBD1 1994 VR6....i have been looking on here and looks like there are 2 types one for the ECU and one for the guages. my guage is working fine so presume its the ECU one.

in the thermostat housing. Passenger side of engine, below coil pack. Not sure which is which but you can always disconnect them in turn to see which drives the gauge.

replacing is easy, drain coolant*, pull out the U shaped clip, ease out sensor. No idea how much the sensor is but you will need a rubber seal as well.

* it is possible to do without draining the entire system by using a funnel to catch the coolant released by simply removing the sensor. When engine is cold obviously!

finally sorted it turns out it was the coil pack. £130 from GSF and now running good. why is it always the last thing you change seems to be the cause of the problem???? Ie changed the MAF no change both temp sensors no change although both of these were comming up on vagcom as intermitant, then finally a coil pack some £180 quid later.... :)

why is it always the last thing you change seems to be the cause of the problem????

because once it's working why change anything else ;-)

I had a similar affair with my 16ver last year. After changing plugs, leads, coil, dizzy cap & rotor my misfire was finally resolved by swapping a £10 relay :@