Hiya,

This might possibly be the dumbest question on the forum. I want to replace the stock suspension on my VR. But, I don't really want to go the whole Coilover hard bumpy ride extreme. I really just want to stiffen it up a bit and get slightly better cornering out of it and make it look like its sitting right if you know what I mean.

Can I just go to VW or GSF and get some new GTi spec shocks and springs?

Cheers

Paul

Don't be so quick to discount this one! In fact, the GTI and VR6 use the same rear springs already. The part numbers for shocks are the same to on sites like Euro car parts and GSF. The only real difference between them is the front springs which have to be beefed up to cope with the extra weight of the engine.

Having said that, the VR6 only weighs 40kg more than the GTI 16V (according to Parkers) which is less than the weight of a very skinny passenger. So, it might sit just a little lower than the GTI but maybe that's no bad thing?

I'm with warner on this one. I've got H&R 30mm drop springs on the front of mine (with raising caps) to get a nice 20mm drop overall and stock springs on the back. Despite this very minor mod, the car is still pretty bouncy round town. It corners on rails and is really flat but I'm not sure this makes up for the discomfort on rough roads.

If I were you Warner I might look at getting a set of koni adjustable shocks but keep the standard springs. Sure the front looks a little high but it will at least handle properly! If you do decide to try out the GTI springs, you'll only need to do the front ones and these do come up on eBay form time to time.

Cheers,

ip

Don't be so quick to discount this one! In fact' date=' the GTI and VR6 use the same rear springs already. The part numbers for shocks are the same to on sites like Euro car parts and GSF. The only real difference between them is the front springs which have to be beefed up to cope with the extra weight of the engine.

Having said that, the VR6 only weighs 40kg more than the GTI 16V (according to Parkers) which is less than the weight of a very skinny passenger. So, it might sit just a little lower than the GTI but maybe that's no bad thing?

I'm with warner on this one. I've got H&R 30mm drop springs on the front of mine (with raising caps) to get a nice 20mm drop overall and stock springs on the back. Despite this very minor mod, the car is still pretty bouncy round town. It corners on rails and is really flat but I'm not sure this makes up for the discomfort on rough roads.

If I were you Warner I might look at getting a set of koni adjustable shocks but keep the standard springs. Sure the front looks a little high but it will at least handle properly! If you do decide to try out the GTI springs, you'll only need to do the front ones and these do come up on eBay form time to time.

Cheers,

ip

[/quote']

I had fitted a german lowering kit to my and they were GTi rated, needless to say they got fooked rather quickly and had to replace them with vr fitment. Double the cost! Or it could be down to receiving a dodgy kit! I would spend the extra dosh and get a vr kit, there are cheap Jamex kits on ebay around £120 ish.

Cheers

Last two posts make a good point. And just to clarify, I'd definitely agree that you should stick with VR rated shocks. It's just the GTI springs that I believe may be useable.

Interesting that GSFstock the GTI and VR springs under the same part code, Eurocarparts does stock different springs for the VR ad GTI as do VW.

Cheers,

ip

Thanks for all the posts and advice guys :)

Sounds like keeping the stock shocks and sticking some GTi springs on the front end will be step one. If it doesn't work then I guess there'll be some pre-loved GTi springs going up on eBay...

I'll whack a post up when I've done it and let you know the results, good OR bad :)