iv had a problem with my vr since i bout it,bt this problem comes and goes and i cant find anyone who knws wot it is.

some times my vr dont wanna start up,its like, it will start up and then turns off.even if i start reving it at the point of stating it up,the engine will swith off after reving and it will keep on doing that,bt after a day or even a couple of houres it will be completley fine.

iv changed the fuel pump and the air flow metre

can someone please help me

hi ya mate,

if it's a later model with built in immobiliser it'll be that not disabling. maybe to do with the transducr ring near the ignition switch. i suggest you search through the FAQ as it;s a common problem,

if it's on older obd1 model kinda pre 1995, m/n reg generally ... well it wont be ;-) but I'm sure someone else will have other suggestions in which case.

Mine did something very similar and it was the ignition switch itself. Started fine (and ran fine while the starter motor was turning ) but as soon as I released the key it would cut out. Sometimes it would stutter on for a bit sometimes it would be fne. Apparently, the switches in the mk3 golf (and mk3 polo for that matter) are prone to failing after 10 years or so. What happens is that, as the switch passes from the 'start' position back the 'run' position, the contacts in the switch briefly drop out. This can cause the car to stall immediately or it can upset the ecu so it stumbles on for a bit and then stalls

The god news is that this is REALLY easy and cheap to test though. Buy a new ignition switch (about £5 off ebay). Remove plastic fairing around steering column (two screws underneath) pull plug out of the back of the existing ignition switch. Attach new ignition switch onto the plug. Put key into ignition barrel and turn (this will defeat the immob and release the steering lock) and then turn the new switch with a large flat bladed screwdriver. If it starts and runs, then you need ot install the switch permanently. If not, you're only out by £5.

Until I had time to install the new switch into the steering column, I had to start my car like this for a month!!