how hard to change stat on my r plate golf vr6

To get to the thermostat, you have to take the front end off. Well i have when ever i have done it. it is located on the front riught side of the engine, there is a pipe going diagnally across the front of the block, the right hand end goes into it, you cant miss it really. Its not hard to change, and you'l find it easy.

three hold it to the block, if yours has been leaking, be careful that they are not coroded, and dont chew them due to this. they may be fine tho. the front end is a piece of pi** really. behind the fig lights there is a couple of 13mm bolts, undo these, disconnect the wiring that goes onto the front and rad hoses. Undo the bolts that hold the top of the crossmember ( bit that the bonnet latches onto) bonnet latch cable, and the whole front will come off together. Really only takes five. minutes.

Excuse my spelling too, plus my keyboard is broke.

Quite easy without taking front of car to peices.....take battery out, take coilpack off. ANd you'll get to housing quite easy then. Change it all whilst your doing it, so get a new housing and all seals.

As has been said be careful with allen head bolts as you can and will round em off if you are to heavy handed, so undo em slowly. Buy new ones if need be. Should take about an hour to get off and new housing on, then just fill it up with G12++ as it is now

coil pack is easy 4 allen head bolts as well. BUT remember where plugs go if ya take em off.

Id say change the whole housing and seals as it might not seal back up correctly as in warped slightly or you could crack it as its only plastic and at least 10yrs old now. Saves having to do it all again when it leaks....just some good advice really. I changed the lot when i did mine, crack pipe as well

hi all

tried the thermostat change, and the housing was damaged,at the bit that goes in to the block,and the over for the thermostat, has one bolt that wont come out aaargh. anyone got a spare housing and all the bits, don't need thermostat though, got a new one.

cheers