Timing chains at 100k?

Just rolled over the big 100k and.......... all seems fine!

However, there are just so many timing chain horror stories out there that I'm aware that I might need to do mine some time soon. Saying that, I don't want to do them unnecessarily (lets be honest, it's a £1500 car and I've already spent £600 on it this year). For example, my mate's VR just rolled over 190k and it's never had them done.

I've heard people say that, when they start to go, it'll sound like rattling loose marbles in a bag. Can anyone corroborate this? Any other descriptions? What should I be listening for? There is a slight bit of noise from my engine but it seems to be from the other end of the block and is more like a ticking noise.

Cheers,

ip

marbles / ball bearings in a can is all the description you need mate. worse at 1500rpm but it's unmissable. use a long screwdrive to 'listen' to the cover, rememebr to put the wooden end to your ear not the pointy one ;-)

As above does vary from car to car, and how they have been used / abused

all depends on how the cars been used as above mate, the chains are made of metal so thats why you get the noise as opposed to a belt, but its the plastic guides that break so the sound is usually intermittent.

do a search on google, im sure there is a vid on there,blown vr6 timing chain or something.

The only way that you know for sure if the timing chains is loose, is in the morning when the engine is cold, pay attention to the noise will come from the back of the engine(driver side). Thats the only way you will know, once the engine warm up it will shut up or less noisy. If the noise persist with the engine in temperature (HOT) you should think in replace them. Dont push it to hard when the engine is cold. Hope this help

ciao

Hi TheGoth, thanks for clarifying,

Since it's a relatively cheap and easy job, I might whip the inlet manifold and rocker cover off next weekend and replace the upper guide as I gather this is the first part usually to fail (which in turn buggers the chains).

Cheers to all. I'm off to enjoy my new suspenion and the return of syncro to my 2nd gear (since I put VW tranny oil back in).

ip

Just tied the screwdriver stethoscpe and heard nopthing but the sound of a chain smoothly running round some cogs (just a pleasent whirring sound) so I guess I'm okay for now.The ticking noise seems to be from the other end of the engine (probably around cylinder one somewhere). Even then though, very quiet really except when engine started from very cold. Takes 20 secs odr so to quieten down.