Electric window fault

Hi all,

my electric windows on my 93 golf vr6 are having an intermitent issue.

Basically the window sometimes only comes down in stages instead of all at once, i pres the button and it comes down a bit, then stops, and i have to press the button about 5 times to lower the window all the way, this occurs on both sides with either switch.

Also the window sometimes stops woirking all together and i have to pull it up by handm but then starts working again after wards.

anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this, faulty wire, dirty connection, broken switch gear etc.

cheers all.

BUMP...and some more info.

Basically i am trying to find out if its the motor that on the way out, the wires between door and chassis (i now have spares from scrappy!) or if its a regulator issue.

If it is a regulator issue, where is the regulator\fuses etc?

Also the electric mirror switches dont work, for either side, would this be connected.

Any help wuld be great guys, this seems a common issue but replies to these types of threads seem slim?

sounds like the wiring to me, have u tried opening the door and pulling back the rubber sleeve to look at the wires, when i had a look at mine the broken wire was obvious.

AFAIK the regulator is the window mechanism itself probems with these seem to be when the cable which pulls the window up and down gets frayed and sticks, or the plasic connection on the lifter that fits onto the cable bead breaks

fuses would be in the fuse box i imagine, just below the steering wheel???

cheers.

i got full wiring sets for both sides from another mk3 in the local scrap yard.

So shall have a tinker.

also got meself a set of standard lights as my car has the smoked Hella originals and they are a touch dark in my opinion.

£10 for the lot. so was a good day.

see if relay is sat correctly

Relays

Relay No. Description

1 Air conditioning

2 Rear Wiper

3 Digifant control unit (except 16-valve)

4 Load reduction relay

5 Low coolant level control unit or Open

6 Emergency flashers

7 Open

8 Intermittent wipers

9 Seat belt warning system control unit (possibly headlight warning too?)

10 Fog lights

11 Horn

12 Fuel pump (except diesel)Glow plugs (diesel)

13 Radiator cooling fan after run (except 16-valve)2.0 16-valve: Starter interlock relay

14 Automatic trans., coolant temperature indicator,starter interlock relay (except 2.0 16-valve)2.0 16-valve: Radiator cooling fan after run

15 ABS pump relay

16 ABS relay

17 Heated seat control unit, driver

18 Heated seat control unit, passenger, or power seat circuit breaker

19 Automatic transmission

20 Open

21 Power window relay, ABS hydraulic pump fuse

22 ABS valves fuse

23 Air conditioning, power seat fuse

24 Power window fuse