overheated due to burst water pipe

hey guys im new to the forum, i have posted a thread to say hi,

story is this. . . .

bought my vr about a week ago , 3 door, navy, really great condition , it had been standing for nearly a year but has had all brakes etc changed, got it all mot ad taxed, took if for a drive on friday *baring in mind i only taxed it thursday* and the hose that goes from the engine into the firewall to the heaters split there for emptying my coolant and causing the car to overheat and burn llll the oil, after finding outwhat had done it i have since repaired the hose filled it back upwith coolant & with oil,

buttttttttt. . . . its developed tapping =( and occasionally if its taken into hi rpm it shoots a puff of smoke!!!! =( im gutted, it could be worse because the car was a bargain sooo im not to bothered,

what im wondering is whats my best option? to get the engine re built? or to fit a replacement engine? or upgraded engine?

im in south wales if that makes any difference with like garages etc you know of?

my plan for the vr6 was to turbo it as soon as possible =)

i have a few goodies on the way, coilovers, gearknob and gaiter, it came with an induction kit, ive changed all the plugs & leads, so yeh just some general advice & tips etc =)

thanks

Ben

If it overheated you may have cooked the oil and if its been sat for a year itll need a good blow through, just do an oil and filter change and take it for a long drive, may be worth changing the fuel filter in a few weeks/tanks full aswell as if ots been sat the fuel vapour can leave a varnish like coating in the system, which will get flushed out but can clog the filter

A quite check on Vagcom wouldnt hurt either if you know somebody with it

thanks for the reply man, haha im strugglin to get replies on here haha, well i dont know if the car is using water now, ive replaced the hose put oil in and refilled the coolant i think it might be using water too , soooo im really at a loss to know what is wrong with it =(

The water levels can be abit sketchy on VRs, if you had filled it and now suddenly its dropped it wouldve just been an air lock bleeding itself out I would think. Keep an eye on the heat exchanger down the front of the block for water leaks as they are crap and are a common weak point, but to be honest just let ot settle in again after not being used for so long and keep an eye on the hoses for decay

cool =)

thanks for the help guys, the vr was a bargain at £900 its in brilliant condition, it has a massive air filter on it i think its a ram air filter but its not a normal VR one, it does give some white smoke at hi rpm if revving it, ill take a video of the eninge sound and of the smoke its very very light amount of smoke, harldy anything, i felt abit bad seems white it gave the puff of smoke i was overtaking an MX5 with the roof down XD