Strong sulphur dioxide smell under acceleration

I've got a standard '94 VR that I just bought at the start of this month. Got her home, went to check the oil just using the dipstick and after removing the dipstick and wiping and replacing and removing again there showed no oil whatsoever on the dipstick :S. So I bought 4 litres of oil and added it in half litre bursts to the oil tank. I let this drain through and retried the dipstick and still no trace of oil. Only when I started the engine did the oil splash up to a very high level on the dipstick, when wiped and replaced when off the oil still did not mark the dipstick. I added nearly 2 litres of oil. Should I have added more or have I added too much?

Then after doing about 500 miles with no problem I replaced the exhaust back to but not including the cat, as it was getting rusty. However just today I noticed under acceleration there is a strong smell of sulphur dioxide.

Could I have wrecked the Cat with the oil? The smell is noticeable but not overpowering. The car passed its emissions on MOT just 3 weeks ago one week before I bought the car.

One other thing I have noticed is that on startup it idles slightly lumpy, only very slightly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank You

best start from scrath and get it serviced then you'll know for sure how much oil is in there, infact give it a full service changing the plugs and leeds too and see if it feels lumpy after. iv just orderd a new lambda as im getting sod all mpg and it runs a bit ruff. process of alimanation(sp?)