Can an insurance company employee steal your identity?

Hi

Just been ringing round insurance companies today to get a quote. Then got to a company called Allen and Allen.

The first person I spoke to in Allen and Allen distinctly hung up on me. I was in the middle of saying that I would just like to get a quote for just me on the policy. He then said who else is to go on my policy. I said no-one just myself. He repeated and said "can I have the other person's details". I politely repeated no I just need a quote for myself please. He then (for no clear reason) hung up. The phone didn't die or cut dead - it was a clear hanging up. It was so clear that my gf sitting near me said "he hung up on you didn't he". I then tried to ring them up to try to speak to a manager to explain what had just happened. I got through to another salesman and politely asked if I could speak to their manager. They refused to put me through, and attempted to find out why I wanted to speak to the manager. Reluctant to speak to them but with them clearly not going to transfer me I eventually told them what happened with one of their colleagues, and I was then promptly hung up on again. So, again I ring them up and attempt to speak to the manager again. To cut the story short I was hung up on a third time. I'm quite a calm laid back person and didn't raise my voice once, nor swear (as much as I'd like to have done) in any of the three conversations. Clearly they are a small tight-nit company and probably all knew each other.

All not good. Anyway all I can do is warn others about an insurance company called "Allen and Allen".

Has anyone else here used them or had similar cases of other companies like this to avoid? I just can't believe what happened - especially when I'm a potential customer ringing up about to spend a lot of money.

Anyway their loss. My main concern is can an employee of an insurance company steal a person's identity with just my date of birth, full name, and full address?

Thanks for any info.