I got an oil leak coming out between the gear box and engine, its dripping from the bottom of the bell housing ther is a bit around the sump gasket but not all the way around. Would this be the sump gasket or somthing worse. The clutch is not slipping, and i am fairly sure its engine oil.

Any info much appreciated.

The colour is gold and dosent smell that bad.

"rear main oil seal or lower timing casing" this means nothing to me, as i'm used to old 8v's. Is there anywhere i can get a diagram so i no what i am up against.

cheers for the info

was your clutch slipping before it went. The crankshaft oil seal went on my mk2 and would slip everytime the car got hot. Is the gearbox anymore difficult to get of than an average golf. Got it done for £120 on my mk2

Hello

Got this picture to help you a litte, The block is shown upside down, The timng casing is number 7 and is sealed to the crankcase using a sealant and number 8 is the rear main oil seal, if oil is leaking from the engine around this area then these are the two main area's to check. As you can see you will need to remove the Gearbox, Clutch and then flywheel to gain acsess to these. And if you remove the timing casing then it would be the best time to replace the chain guides and tensioners. And this is a different setup to a Mk2 and the oil has less chance to contaminate the clutch due to the positiong of the clutch/Flywheel. I would use the car if not alot of oil is leaking/being used.

Does this help mate?

1213216712_7725_FT234934_vr6_007.png

wow thats perfect. So if oil is leaking from 7 the timing case seal would that put pressure on 8 the main seal. I dont mind topping up the oil every 500 miles but i dont want 8 to fail and pour oil all over the flywheel.

Do you reckon you can re seal these parts without removing them, as a temp fix. And would the timing case have to be steam cleaned before re-fitting. Its just twigged you have to take the geabox & flywheel off to change the cam chains, mental !!

If oil is leaking from 7 then it should have no real effect on 8. You can never say when or how these items will fail, but they could just weep for years. I would not try and reseal them without replacing them as is not fixing the problem, and as you have to remove the gearbox and flywheel to acsess them is best to replace with new. Best to clean the contact face of the casing and block, also if oil is leaking then a quick jet wash would be a good idea

I have had the car into the garage, he didnt have time to have proper look, but his first thoughts were head gasket, which was dripping down the back of the engine (there is oil on back of engine) but he admitted he didnt know the engine very well and they would charge £700 !. Could that quantity of oil leak from the head gasket without making it through to the water, and is it safe to drive. Or is there anyhwere else on the back of the engine where it could leak from, or if it was leaking from the bottom would the driveshaft throw it up the back of the engine.

any info much appreciated, I SO WANT TO TAKE IT TO THE ALPS !!!!

If he doesn't know the engine very well then dont let him near it mate, I spent £500 on Parts alone when i did my Head Gasket and Chains, So would be hidden costs in that quote. Is the breather valve on the Rocker cover to intake pipe spilt? Can you get any pictures of this leak? Head Gasket seems a bit of guess work mate

Heres a pic,

DSC_1334.JPG

Its on the geabox side of the head, looks like its seeping oil from gasket, where is the rocker breather hose, is it on the back of the engine ?. If it was the head gasket would it last a few 1000 miles more, or is it urgent