VR6 Missfiring problem (stuttering)

Okay, defo not the HT leads. Swapped them over with my mate's working set. No change. Didn't get time to disconnect battery (forgot 8mm spanner) but will give it a shot tomorrow.

Also, happens when cold too. I just hadn't properly checked before.

Beyond that, I payed a bit more attention to the rev counter and noticed that it only really happens from 690rpm (idle) up to 1000 rpm. Does anyone know if it's harder for the mixture to ignite at lower rpms? If that were the case then it would definitely point to weak spark and thus, back to the coilpack.

Cheers,

ip

Well, full marks fo to slim5878 who correctly suggested the coil pack right back at the beginign of this thread. I'm pretty gutted that it was the coil since I replaced it (albeit with a used one) only 2 months back. The failed coil looked to be brand new and tested out with correct impedances etc. It also showed no issues when sprayed with water (that aold trick). This was why I couldn't believe it had failed.

I guess we can learn two things here:

1. Don't rely on a used coil pack (no matter how clean) on being a working coil pack.

2. If youre VR6 ain't running right, try the HT leads andf coil pack first (no matter how clean they appear).

Thanks to all who contributed.

ip

Hi vr6newcomer. How old is your coil? From what I've heard they can fail any time after a couple of years even with original VW parts. Fairly poor perfomring part unfortunately. Let us know how you get on.

cheers,

ip