anybody got a cooler with a stat?

i got an oilcoolerkit today and once i,d drained the oil i started to fit it,it was a pain finding somewhere to mount it but its on, now i got a stat with mine but i,ve no idea where it goes,i,ve got a funny feeling its the wrong one cos its not obvious where it goes,has anybody got a pic?or advice

The stat is normally in the sandwich plate, with mine I had to remove the original heat exchanger(little square thing) and just connected its 2 pipes together, then with the threaded bar that screws into the mushroom cap, that was slightly too long for some reason so cut it down to size and cleaned up the thread with a thread file. If you screw the threaded bar into the block first it will help locate the sandwich plate, then if you imagine the 2 outlets on the sandwich plate are facing straigh upwards at 12 oclock, mine would only seat properly at the 2 oclock position as a metal tab on the engine was getting in the way

the problem i,ve got now is i,ve not got a threaded bar all i have is a replacement bolt ,the big one that holds the heat exchanger and the sandwich plate centre hole is too big for this ie it can move about obviously when i tighten it down it might be ok but i,ve the same problem as you the bolt is too long

just screw the threaded bar into the mushroom cap and slot all the bit together just to make sure it looks right. There is no 'kit' so to speak for oil coolers, its just put together with components need for you car so there is a small chance a part is wrong but nothing that cant be modded to fit

what i,m trying to say is the threaded bar is slimmer than the sandwhich plate whole heres a pic not too good but they,ll give you an idea of what i,m talking about, i reckon if i cut the threaded bit to the correct lenght and centre the plate on the threaded bar it should be ok, the only thing thats bothering me is i had a look on ebay at vr6 sandwhich plates and they had an additional piece that took up the slack

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00295.jpg

looks like you have bits missing mate, the pic above with the mushroom on the right doesnt get used, you need a threaded tube and a new mushroom cap that fix together, without it it wont work as the new cap has oil channels in it

where did you buy it from?

well that makes sense ,i havnt got that bit all i,ve got is a plastic cap instaed of a alloy one , also i,ve had a look at others and they seem to have a bit of rod thats threaded externally to screw into the block and threaded internally so you an screw the cap bolt back into it

With the part I showed above. you screw this into the oil cooler cap(if you have a plastic cap you will need to get an alloy one from an earlier car)

You then place the original VW oil cooler on the block, and your sandwich plate on top of that. Then you can screw the new peice through the middle of the whole lot into the block. Notice the bigger diamater peice, this is the correct diameter for the sandwich plate, so that it doesnt float about like you have now.

This is a better solution than just removing the original VW oil cooler.