Newbie in UK. VR6 maintenance advice needed

Hi guys.

I have just bought a VR6, with 111k on the clock, and picking it up tomorrow.

I've moved here from South Africa, and have no idea who the best people in the business are to take the car to for some preventative maintenance.

I know that if the cam chain goes, the motor can be thrown away. So, as a precaution, I want to have the belts, chain, thermostat, oil pump and water pump replaced. Better safe than sorry on these items.

Who is the best to take the car to? I'm based in central London, but will travel a bit. Got a mate in Reading so that area would also work. Also, should I buy the parts (and from where), and deliver the car to have the items changed, or is there a place that will do the whole bit?

I don’t mind paying for professional workmanship.

Some say the chains are for the life of the engine, others say change them at about 100,000, I have had several VR's, one of them sitting on 175,000miles, the chain had never been done nor the tensioners, I changed the tensioners as they were wearing through and didnt bother with the chains, I never had a problem with it to be honest although looking back I probably should have changed them considering the work that went into changing the tensioners and the actual chain doesnt cost that much at all.

It is usually the top tensioner the rubs through rather than the bottom tensioner.

Whilst you are getting that done I would get the clutch changed too as the gearbox needs to come out to change the lower tensioner and the chain/chains.