Hi there,

I've recently just bought a 1994 Golf Vr6 with 111k miles on her. She has a full Vw service history.

A few mild modification to the car, Air filter, Stainless steel backbox, Coilover suspension and 17" wheels which I plan to change very soon.

I have 2 problems with the car:

1, When at idle the car makes a bearing sound from the left hand side of the engine, could someone tell me and if possible show me a pic of where the waterpump is located? The noise gos away with the slightest touch of the throttle but its really annoying and doesnt sound very nice.

2, After the car has been opened up it misfires when driving normal, if you put your foot down again its fine just seems to be missing when accelerating slowly are at a constant speed. Sometimes it wont do this for a few days then it does. Any ideas?

Your help will be much appreciated.Thanks, Stephen

Vr6enginesidemodded.jpg

Drop the belt off for a few minutes (not too long as it will overheat) and see if the noise goes away.

If is does then you know its alternator/ water pump/ tensioner/ PAS or air con if you have it

Then spin the the water pump and belt tenstier ect by hand and see if one feels ruff/ noisey ect

Hope that helps Tom

Hi there,

Thanks for your help. I had a proper look at it tonight, after closer inspection it is down the right hand side of the engine, I.e the passenger side.

If you look down the back of the engine it is to the right of the manifold and down a little bit. The noise seems to be getting worse. Anyone know what it is? I think its maybe the oil pump. Thanks

No doesnt sound like the chain tensioners, they would be at the top of the engine?

Its only there at idle, isnt there on initial startup doesnt start until the Oil temp is approx 50 degrees. It sounds more like a dry bearing or a knackered bearing. It isnt very loud its just annoying and I know its not meant to be there. As I say its down the right hand of the engine, below the cylinder head.

ummm ok theres a AUX water pump. electric... but that wont realy make a dry bearing noise.... you could disconect the plug off that and see if that stops as can get abit noisey somtimes

apart from that there nothink else apart from a chain guide which is about 3/4 up the engine. Oil pumps on the bottem so wouldn't be traveling that far up..