rear drivers side windows problem

as above goes down , but will not come back , up .

switch works fine, and i can push the window back up..im guessing motor but is there any sure ifre way to tell??? or does it use some sort of pbelt system to run up and down on the runner??

cheers jim

or does it use some sort of pbelt system to run up and down on the runner??

it uses a braided steel cable in the window regulator. It is possible for this to seize/ clog up inside the sheaths. I'd imagine this would gives problems up and down. Or a few stands can snap and act as mini ratchets.

1202894615_2196_FT218612_8738_1.jpg

I have the exact same issue, the post above by The Goth has the image of the window gubbings, what you are looking at is the front of it, on the back the metal channel has a steel braided cable with a 'nut' of sorts in the middle of it, there is a plastic, yes plastic (where is the logic?) bracket that slips over the nut on the cable, when the motor moves the cable up and down the nut moves with it and the plastic bracket which clamps to the window. This said plastic bracket has a metal reinforcing plate on the bottom part of the plastic braket but not the top. The plastic weakens over time and then brakes. The bottom part is still whole so pushes the window down, when trying to wind it back up again the nut just pushes its way past the plastic bracket and leaves the window sitting at the bottom. I have just ordered another runner from VW at the staggering price of £50, there is a cheap 'bodge' that you can do with a straight bullet connector but I wanted to do mine properly. Hope this helps, I confused myself typing it :) sorry.

no, not by trade, but the ring is approaching and ive just had a baby, so moneys tight..im not gonna pay vw 50 squid for somehting i can do with a bullet connector..

can you email me some detials please mate in how to do it, or is it obvious once i get the unit out.???

ahhhh, the understanding sets in.

Yeah I will get some photos tongiht of the back of the channels as Im fixing mine tonight so i will get a photo of broken and new, that ok for you, as in soon enough?

Admittedly it is obvious once out but it never hurts to get a heads up.

nah , thats cool.thx mate, ill probaly do it friday day , as im on nights

im hoping this was the cause of my wind noise whistling , that i could not find..i.e the window had dropped ever so slighly in the runner, and due to it being unable to go up , it was not sealing properly

Yeah it will be, my problem is exactly the same with the same window too, I think the channels up the side of the windows get old and dried out over time which puts excessive pressure on the mechanism whilst trying to operate, you can squirt some PTFE/Silicone spray in those side channels and it makes the window operation much smoother, same old problem that VR6's suffer with when it comes to the sunroof.