Without looking. I would hazard a guess----Try the condenser within the distributer.

Last time I swapped one over it was a silver cylindrical type. Being VW yours may differ in design. But none the less they can fail.

Next wash your hands and make they are grease free and dry.Check the six brass pick up points within the cap for deposits. If they have grey/green deposits. Clean them off with a sharp object. Take care not to scratch the cap itself as this can induce arcing.

Also look at the inner centre of the dist cap. Here you will see another pick up which may be sprung loaded. Make sure it is free moving and not stuck. The rotor arm should be checked at the same time and any deposits carefully removed.

I know this is obvious. But please check your wires from coil to distributer.Also from coil back to power source.

If all fails try the local knackers yard for a replacement dist. fron same engine model.

The info I give is a generalisation and could cover umpteen makes and models.

But I hope this helps. 8-|

Being an ole geezer I usually do vintage work. Why I remember being over the desert in my Sopwith....Bla ...bla..Bla.