Got my first vr6 yeasterday..

Hi everyone, been browsing the forum alot recently so thought id join and ask a few ?'s. :)

So i went to look at a vr6 yesterday, k plate 87000miles, service history, 4 months ticket but no tax. got it for £450. Had a test drive and it was only running on 4 cylinders (i think), very rough, very lumpy not much guts at all. Got it back to the persons house realised a ht lead was not on properly, pushed it back on, it run sweet, but Didnt bother to take it out again. start driving home, all is ok i suppose but it felt a little bit rough still. (this car has also been sat for 6 months and in need of a good service badly). Got it home and realised from standing still and reving there was a missfire under 1200rpm badly then after not so bad. The thing is whilst driving home the car didnt feel as powerfull as i was expecting, I think this is due to the missfiring/service needeed/time it has been sat.

The car also idles around 500 a little rough. Im thinking maybe its just dampness where the car has been sitting, any ideas on this or the power??

Thanks again and sorry for so many ?'s bit of a noob.

Oh and when i get round to cleaning it i'll get up some pics.

Hiya mate and welcome.

500 is a little low, 6-700 more usual. Is it a dizzy version, or coil pack? The coilpack is prone to cracking and letting in moisture / letting out electricity.

TheGoth

P.s. Where in herts are you? Someone might be willing to pop your new baby on a diagnosis tool for your peace of mind.

Hey im in welwyn garden city, next to hatfield. the diagnostic thing would be good, would be willing to pay a little if someone was to come out of there way. I have the vag.com software but not the lead, the only leads i can find are ones for the ob2 and i would imagine mine is obd1 being a from 92.

Thanks again, and all help appreciatd.

Hey there, as nice as that is of you and as much as i would lve too, i cant make it to there im afraid, I currently have not got insurance in the car and nore is it taxed, I was going to insure it but due to the price i thought i might as well spend my money getting it running right first then insure. No point in driving it untill then!! Generally it needs a fair bit of body work too, but that could wait. Like i say its a very nice offer, just wouldnt be able to get it to you. ;-( .

regards.