My '95 corrado vr6 cut out today and now wont start. The fuel pump is no longer coming on with the ignition.

Theres 4 wires going into the fuel pump, anyone know what they all do?

So far ive got

1 thick wire - Earth

1 thin wire - switched, 10volts when ignition is on

1 thin wire - dunno what this is for

1 thick wire - I thought this should be a main power feed, but theres nothing. i put a direct feed from the battery on to this and still nothing.

Im thinking the pump is knackered, but as theres 2 wires im not sure about then it could be immobilised?

Fuse 18 is fine, though there doesnt seem to be any power across it, ill check the relay tommorow.

Any help much appreciated.

In normal operation, you only get power to the fuel pump on certain occasions:

1) when you turn the ignition on you will get a 0.5second pulse sent to the pump to prime the system.

2) when the engine is turning

The ECU is what sends the signal out to the fuel pump relay and you can simulate this by jumpering a couple of the terminals in the ECU socket plug, if you wanted to make the pump run to check operation, for example. Look in the Bentley manual and it will tell you which pins to jumper.

Jules

[ Edited Tue Aug 24 2004, 12:09AM ]

[ Edited Tue Aug 24 2004, 12:10AM ]

Dont worry about hijacking the thread, ive sort of got the problem fixed. I know for definate now the fuel pump is gubbed, new problem is that ECP sold me the wrong pump to replace it so im back there tommorow.

What do you mean by no signal sent? At the relay or at the fuel pump?

There wont be a signal at the fuel pump until the starter is engaged. (Test across the 2 thicker wires, thinner ones are for the fuel gauge sender.)