Hello all,

I've got a slight problem. My VR is in need of some oil. However I have no idea what the previous owner used to put in it. I'm planning on putting GTX Magnatec into it but I heard that it's not good to mix synthetic and non synthetic oils. Anyone know what will happen if I do mix them?

If you know the previous owner did not use synthetic then just top if off with a non synthetic just to hold you through till you get the full service on it. How old is your VR6? Just keep in mind that when switching to a full synthetic from a non-synthetic you may get some leaks depending on the age of the car! Full synthetic cleans and lubes so well that if any seals or gaskets are going bad full synthetic will find it and leak because a non synthetic does not clean as well therefore does not cut through weak seals and gaskets as fast. Now if the car is fairly new then it really doesn't matter!!!

Where was your car last serviced? If it was me I'd ring up that garage and simply ask them. It's pretty likely they would have used the recommended oil Quantum Synta Silver 10w40. What ever oil you do use make sure it is semi-synthetic. GTX magnatec is semi-synthetic so fine. You'll find your vr runs far smoother on the Synta Silver though... mine did anyway.