VR6 oh so sweet, why did you have to overheat?

. Anything over 130 for the oil temp is something to start worrying about.

Iv had my mk2 vr round combe before and the oil temp hit 140 :o but have had no problems with it at all

The r32 skyline i passed coming out of quary corner did a double take at me

hi all,

It's been a while, I had a saga with tools. Finally found the bit for the head bolts, had to use a 12 point 12mm 3/8 drive (1/2 it to big to get to them all.. grr) I'm still stuck at getting enough stack on the chain te get it over the spockets. I have a document here so hopefully I'll get it. The tension piston is out and the lower guide rail is off. I think I found the source of the ticking, the guide rail the tension bolt pushes on has a loose front piece, not sure if this will be replaceable without going deeper, I'll find out.

SImon

It seems that replacing this upper guide is a gear box out situation. I'm still confused about getting the chain off the sprockets on the cam shafts. I need to think about the whole thing, I don't want to take out the gear box just to gain access to this small plastic part. I could just do the head and live with the noise, it seems ashame. If only I could get this chain off, I toyed with undoing the sprockets but it seems a little over the top. There must be a way to do this...

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

All done! Phew... I've been waiting for parts for ages.. The head gasket arrived bent and it's taken the guy about 2 weeks to sort it out.. Still got there in the end. My water bottle had split at the seam too and I've been waiting for bolts frow VW. It's SOOOO good to be back on the road, cheers for the help chaps. I have a photo diary if any one wants it.