Engine Rebuild. Please Help

Hi, im in the process of having my lump fully stripped down and rebuilt. Ive got a chap to rebuild it who has been building engine for donkeys....... But he's never done a vr, some some info would be cool if anyone knows¬!

Basically, i have 2 engines with him, A Golf 2.8 AAA lump and my Raddo ABV 2.9 Lump.

Both are in need of a re-bore, so the plan is as follows..:-

Rebore the 2.8 block to 2.9 spec, use my pistons after cleaning and polishing, new rings, new shells etc, balanced and re-ground crank, lightened flywheel, ported polished head, new stem seals, valve guides and re seat the valves.

Re-bore the 2.9 to just over or maybe 83mm to make either 3.0L or 3.1L with similar spec as above. New pistons and rings etc.

What i want to know is............. He he, we'll get there eventually, lol

What are the similarities between the AAA and the ABV block?

Do they share the same crank?

Do they share the same cams?

Do they use the same Rods?

Is the C/R the same?

Does all of the above sound possible?

If all goes according to plan, the first engine, 2.9 stylee will be up for sale shortly, fully rebuilt and ready to go, can even be more race spec'd if needed if some1 who wants it requests so!

Also, what is the best thing to sugest for my ABV block, overbore to 82.5mm, or just got the full hog and get some EIP Forged 83's in there? What other makes of piston and rings are available in either forged or cast?

And does anyone have prices for bits n pieces?

Sorry for the long thread but need to know ALOT, he he. any help would be great, i need that vr purrr... back in my life, its empty without it!

Do they share the same crank?

Do they share the same cams?

Do they use the same Rods?

Is the C/R the same?

Does all of the above sound possible?

Yes.

What other makes of piston and rings are available in either forged or cast?

EIP use Ross pistons. Look at JE' date=' Wiseco, Wossner. There was a set of Wossner 83mm on ebay a while back.

The only difference between a 2.8 and 2.9 is the 1-mm larger bore of the latter. If you have a worn 2.9, why don't you give it back to VW as an excange for a new unit?

Cos they'll charge you about £2k.

Tom.